The Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main is one of the largest universities in Germany with around 48,000 students and with about 5,000 employees. Founded in 1914 by Frankfurt citizens and since 2008 once again proud of its foundation status, Goethe University possesses a high degree of autonomy, modernity and professional diversity. As a comprehensive university, the Goethe University offers a total of 16 departments on five campuses and more than 100 degree programs along with an outstanding research reputation.
A new Integrated Research Training Group
in the framework of the Collaborative Research Center 1531 “Damage control by the stroma-vascular compartment” (CRC 1531) at Goethe University Frankfurt offers
18 PhD Student (m/f/x) positions (E 13 TV-G-U, 65%)
The salary grade is based on the job characteristics of the collective agreement applicable to Goethe University (TV-G-U) or to the participating institutions.
The collaborative research center focusses on the the stroma-vascular compartments of the heart, the brain and blood vessels and elucidating its response to acute damage. The individual projects aim to understand how different cell populations within the stroma-vascular compartments contribute to the repair process. CRC 1531 involves scientists from the Departments of Medicine and Biosciences at Goethe University Frankfurt, the University Hospitals of Heidelberg and Mainz, the MDC Berlin and the Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research in Bad Nauheim. Thus, it is integrated into an outstanding research landscape, which also includes the excellence cluster CPI (Cardio Pulmonary Institute) and the German Center for Cardiovascular Research (DZHK).
An Integrated Research Training Group (IRTG), central to the program and is dedicated to PhD student education and training with respect to the specific know-how necessary to perform cutting edge science in cardiovascular biology.
– Thematic high-level projects in internationally recognized groups
– A wide range of state-of-the-art techniques
– An international and attractive working environment with assistance in all organizational matters
– An outstanding supervision and mentoring concept with multiple experienced and engaged supervisors
– An attractive living environment – Frankfurt/Main was recently voted one of the most live-able cities in the world and is an international scientific, financial, and
cultural hub (The Economist)
– A strong PhD student community jointly attending graduate courses
– An innovative teaching concept with numerous professional and transferable skills workshops providing the specific know-how necessary for performing cutting
edge science in cardiovascular biology and mentoring for personal development
– Travel funds to visit workshops, conferences and international laboratories
– Team-building seminars, summer schools and retreats with the IRTG
– Networking with national and international collaboration partners
– Very good scientific master degree in biology, biochemistry, biomedicine or related disciplines
– Very good English skills (written and oral)
– Practical scientific expertise and strong theoretical background
– Creativity, flexibility and a high degree of scientific curiosity
– Enthusiasm for basic research and a strong willingness to work in interdisciplinary teams
General applications to the program or to specific projects please send to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications should be submitted by September 15, 2022.
The following documents should be included (summarized in one PDF file):
– Letter of motivation (max. one page) explaining your choice of subprojects
– Curriculum vitae, including extracurricular interests
– Your master thesis (if submitted) or a summary (if pending)
– Copy of your academic record (listing courses – does not need to be certified)
– Name and contact information for a minimum of two references
The Goethe University is committed to a policy of providing equal employment opportunities for both men and women alike, and therefore particularly encourages women to apply for the position/s offered. Individuals with severe disability will be prioritized in case of equal qualification.
We look forward to receiving your application!